Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

Overton Brooks VA Medical Center


Job Eligibility Requirements


Reinstatement/Transfer Eligible:

  1. Individuals who are now or were previously employed under a career or career-conditional appointment in a Federal Competitive Civil Service Position may be considered for reinstatement/transfer.
  2. Individuals who completed the service requirements for career tenure are eligible for reinstatement.
  3. Individuals who held a career-conditional appointment and are entitled to Veterans Preference have lifetime eligibility for reinstatement consideration.
  4. Non preference eligible's that never completed the service requirement for career tenure (i.e., you were still career-conditional when you left government service) may be reinstated only within 3 years following the date of separation.
  5. Applicants for reinstatement/transfer must submit evidence of eligibility, such as a copy of his/her SF-50b, Notification of Personnel Action that shows tenure group, position occupied (competitive versus excepted) and date of separation if no longer employed.

Former Overseas Employees (E.O. 12721 ELIGIBLE):

Certain former overseas Employee-Family Members of Federal Civilians, Federal NAF Employees or members of a uniformed service who were officially assigned to the overseas area may be considered if they meet the following criteria:

  1. Citizen of (or owe permanent allegiance to) the United States.
  2. Completed 52 weeks of creditable overseas service in an appropriated fund position(s) under an overseas local hire appointment(s) during the time the family member was accompanying a sponsor officially assigned to an overseas area.
  3. Family member received a fully successful or better (or equivalent) performance rating.
  4. An individual is eligible for appointment(s) under this authority for a period of three (3) years following the date of returning from overseas to the United States to resume residence or until March 31, 1998, whichever date is later.


30 Percent Or More Compensable Service-Connected Disabled Veterans

Agencies may give noncompetitive temporary appointments of more than 60 days to any veteran who meets the following criteria:

  1. The disability must be documented by a notice of retirement discharge due to service-connected dated at any time;
    The disability must be documented by a notice of compensable disability rating from the Department of Veterans Affairs, dated within the last 12 months.
  2. Applicants must meet all qualification requirements.  Appointees may be eligible for conversion, without a break in service, to a career or career-conditional appointment provided all regulatory requirements are met.
  3. In addition to your application, applicants must submit an Application for 10-Point Preference, SF-15, a copy of his/her military discharge, DD-214, that shows the character of service, and a copy of a VA Letter documenting the 30% compensable disability dated within the preceding 12 months.

Veterans Employment Opportunity Act

  1. Preference eligible's or veterans who have been honorably discharged from the armed forces after 3 or more years of active service are eligible to apply.
  2. Applicants must submit a copy of his/her military discharge, DD-214, that shows the character of service in addition to the application package.

Educational Verification

If you have attended college(s), universities, junior college(s), vocational technical schools, etc., you should also submit a copy of your transcript or grade reports as evidence of course completion.  The same type of evidence (i.e., certificates of completion) should be furnished for vocational schools, business schools, etc.  If you do not have them, you should immediately request them from the school(s) you attended.