Overton Brooks VA Medical Center
Local Patient Access Data
Regularly updated patient access data is available for all VA Medical Centers and Community-Based Outpatient Clinics including average wait times, number of patients waiting for a scheduled appointment and number of patients that cannot be scheduled for an appointment in 90 days or less. To view this data, go to http://www.va.gov/health/access-audit.asp.
If you are not currently a patient at the Overton Brooks VA Medical Center Healthcare System and you wish to become one, you must report to the eligibility area located in A Mod on the ground floor. You should bring proof of honorable military service and proof of any medical insurance you may have. Patients are accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis, except in the case of medical emergencies, which are seen first. Following registration, a health care provider will examine you to determine your needs. When necessary, you will be treated and referred for further follow-up.
For additional information on how to register as a new patient, please contact eligibility.
To schedule an initial appointment:
We have established a number of procedures to assist you in getting an appointment without a long delay. Our goals are simple:
- you should be able to see your primary care provider within thirty days or less
- you should have faster access to specialty care
If you have received a postcard stating that you need to make an appointment:
- Initial appointment 318-990-5000 or 1-800-644-8370
Current Patients: If you are currently enrolled in an outpatient clinic, please call your provider for an appointment. Patients who are assigned to Primary Care will not be scheduled to other clinics without approval from their Primary Care Team. Please see below for:
Appointments are not scheduled for the following federal holidays:
- New Yearâ€™s Day (1/1)
- Martin Luther King Day (3rd Monday in January)
- President's Day (3rd Monday in February)
- Memorial Day (last Monday in May)
- Independence Day (7/4)
- Labor Day (first Monday in September)
- Columbus Day (2nd Monday in October)
- Veterans Day (11/11)
- Thanksgiving (4th Thursday in November)
- Christmas (12/25)
The Overton Brooks VA Medical Center Emergency Room is open 24 hours per day, seven days a week.
Appointments and Waiting Times
We are working hard to see veterans as close to appointment times as possible. If you have an appointment and arrive on time, our goal is for you to wait no longer than 30 minutes.
You can help by:
- Arriving 15 minutes prior to your appointments;
- Calling us if you have to cancel or will be late for an appointment
- Coming early if you need to have blood tests, X-rays, EKG's or other tests done before you see the doctor; Bringing in test results, especially if you had the tests done someplace else. Your doctor will want to see the actual X-ray, MRI, or CAT scan films.
Changing Your Appointment
Please try to make your scheduled appointments. If however, you cannot keep an existing appointment please contact us as soon as you can so that we can reschedule you. This will also allow us to
schedule a fellow veteran for the original appointment time.
To cancel or reschedule an appointment, please call the Overton Brooks VA Medical Center at 318-990-5000 or 1-800-644-8370. For a listing of your current appointments you also visit us online at My HealtheVet.